What is a Firewall?
A firewall is an essential part of your business’ security system. Without it, your network is open to threats. A firewall is a security system that controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic between your business and the Internet. It keeps destructive forces out and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic.
A firewall could be seen as the all-in-one security system to protect your house. It’s a bit like securing the perimeter with a good fence, then adding good door locks, intruder alarm, security camera and all the other parts to home security. Take for instance the front door, if you don’t have the key you can’t gain access. It’s also like the alarm, if somebody attempts to gain access, you will be alerted. Unlike the house with only a few entry points, a computer network has thousands of entry points and all these need to be controlled.
The firewall has the main purpose of controlling all these entry points, only allowing those who should have access get into the house.
Why Should you Use a Firewall?
With an effective firewall you can prevent unauthorised access to your computers and network. This protects your data from being compromised. It also gives you extra protection against viruses and malware. If a firewall detects anything suspicious or malicious attempting to enter your private network from the internet, it will not allow it through.
An effective firewall will control both inbound and outbound internet traffic. This means you can choose to block access to specific websites within your network as well as blocking malicious content from outside your network. For example, you can protect employees from accessing potentially harmful or unsafe websites that could lead to your network being infected with malware. You can also choose to block inappropriate or non-work-related websites, therefore enhancing the overall productivity of your employees.
Protection Against Out-going Traffic:
- Protect against attackers spoofing your network details for spamming.
- Ability to prevent access to certain websites (e.g. Facebook) or to types of websites (e.g. all Gambling sites)
- Control what communications can take place between the network and the Internet, for example allow users to browse the web via a web browser but block live music streaming.
- Help protect your business data by preventing methods for sharing it to Internet resources
Protection Against In-Coming Traffic:
- Protect your network from ransomware and advanced malicious threats
- Protection from the latest hacks and Attacks
- Prevent Denial of Service attacks
- Limit traffic coming in to only what is actually needed, reducing the changes of unwanted traffic attacking your systems
- Decide which systems are allowed to communicate with your network
- Block malicious viruses being installed on computers through emails or dangerous downloads
Why do I need a Firewall in 2021?
During the course of 2020 cyber threats became an increasing concern to both businesses and individuals. In fact with the rise of remote working cyber-crime rose by a whopping 31% in the UK during the Pandemic. This trend is set to continue in 2021 and cyber-crime experts predict that it the number of attacks will rise at an unprecedented rate.
The Benefits of using our Firewall
A properly configured, maintained, and monitored firewall will protect your data, network, and devices. Importantly, you need to ensure that your firewall has the power to manage normal and encrypted internet traffic without slowing down your devices or compromising security. As your trusted IT partner our team will configure and manage the firewall for you as well as taking care of all security updates.
- Protect downtime for computers and devices on your network, keeping them safe from cyber attacks
- Protect your business data
- Protect your staffs data
- Become Data Security compliant. A firewall is a required security control to comply with security regulations and standards, including GDPR
- Realtime monitors
- Firewalls keep up to date with the latest threats
- Firewalls can also provide a VPN solution to allow staff to connect remotely in a safe, controlled and authorised way.
If you would like to learn more about firewalls and how they can help protect your business get in touch with one of our team today. We can offer expert advice on how we can protect your business from new and emerging threats.