Penetration testing, or pen testing as it is often referred to, involves an authorised individual adopting the role of a hacker attempting to compromise or gain access to a network or an application. It assesses the overall security of the IT infrastructure to gain a clear understanding of any high-risk vulnerabilities.
The objective of the pen test is to evaluate and assess an organisation’s security position. It will identify and analyse any vulnerabilities that present a security risk.
The pen test will consider security risks from an external and internal perspective;
External network penetration testing
- The purpose of this type of pen testing is to review your organisation’s systems from a public position, acting as an unauthenticated external user
- Testing determines what information and services are publicly accessible and their vulnerabilities identified
- Testing might also cover reviewing a VPN, FTP, Email or Web service
Internal network penetration testing.
- An internal pen test explores risk exposed should an attacker gain physical access to your network
- As a result it will help to identify what information and services are at risk of discovery and exploitation
Contact us to learn more about how pen testing on your infrastructure will protect your business.