Advances in information technology mean that more and more people are working away from the office and with the impact of Covid-19 this looks set to continue for some time.
Remote working has many advantages, including reduced costs for employers and greater flexibility for employees, but it also raises concerns of how to protect your employees and ensure business continuity.
Our steps below explain how to protect your staff and improve efficiency by managing the technology risks sensibly.
Anti Virus Software
Ideally employees should be using a Company owned device running Webroot Anti Virus and the Brash Agent. If staff are using their own device we recommend:
- The use of a separate work profile and login. This is to avoid threats from sharing a login with children or other family members.
- Ensure suitable Anti Virus is running. The Brash recommended Anti Virus (Webroot) is a cost effective and very efficient way of ensuring it is running. It cannot be turned off by the user and can be monitored.
- Antivirus ensures software is kept up to date and protects against threats across email, browsers, files, URLs, ads, apps and more
Secured Home router/WiFiA recent survey suggests that nearly 70% of hacking incidents occur when connected to unsecured Wi-Fi networks.
- A VPN provides a way of using public networks but securing your data transfer through them.
- Ideally staff should be informed to change the default password for their Home router and WiFi. Typically, home users leave the default username/password for admin access, and leave the WiFi password as the one on the card. We would recommend that staff contact their Internet provider for details on changing this.
In 2020, it’s estimated that 1.7MB of data will be created every second for every person on earth. Cloud back up is an essential way to ensure your business is protected from loosing its data. The benefits:
- Up to 1TB data back up to cloud
- Automatic daily backups
- File history and retention for recovery of overwritten or accidentally lost files
- Recover full or part folders to original data location
- Secured data in transit and rest
- Faster data recovery
Mobile Device Management
If your staff regularly use their own mobile devices for work you’ll need a mobile device management solution that keeps your company data safe and keeps you in control.
Our Mobile Device Management is an affordable, easy-to-use cloud platform containing all of the essential functionality for end-to-end management of mobile devices.
- Powerful, secure monitoring and management of mobile devices
- Devices kept up to date with security patches, secure passcodes and Anti Virus.
- A lost or compromised device can be remotely locked or wiped of all corporate data.
- Multi-device and OS Support (iOS and Android)
- Security policies enforce data protection
- Fast and easy deployment
You will have recently received our emails about our Spoof Email training. With the rise in home working there has been a huge rise in small businesses falling victim to Phishing scams. One additional piece of advice:
- It is essential that no money is transferred from an email that appears to come from a Director to Accounts with time pressure. The accounts team should always double check everything via a telephone call. Other spam emails relate to Office 365/OneDrive password issues.
Cyber Essentials certification proves that your business has the minimal security requirements in place. This government led self-assessment scheme shows you can meet their requirements for a secure business. It comes with Cyber Insurance if you pass.